If you are a foreign national, married or in a relationship with
a foreign national, or have lived for a substantial period of time
abroad, then any relationship breakdown will involve decisions over
where proceedings should be issued and the steps to take to ensure
that you obtain the best possible outcome. If there are already
proceedings in another country, our team of specialists can help to
In particular, our team is experienced in dealing with:
- dealing with and advising on situations where more than one
court may have jurisdiction, and how to protect yourself in
- and the variation and enforcement of foreign orders
- the enforcement of orders abroad generally
- individuals who wish to adopt a child from abroad
- advising on whether marriages and divorces that took place
abroad are valid in the UK
- advising on whether religious marriages and divorces in the UK
are valid for example, a 'talak' (an Islamic Divorce)
- individuals who wish to move a child from a
previous relationship abroad.
Find out more about the legal issues
associated with emigration and relocation.
Find out more about how
our Notarial team can assist with, for example, adoption
proceedings overseas and marrying overseas.
more about our French Property team who can assist if you have a
property in France.
international maintenance issues
On 20 December 2012 new rules came in to force that have a
far-reaching impact on the way maintenance disputes with
international dimensions are dealt with and enforced.
The new rules (and forms prepared by the Permanent Bureau of the
Hague Convention) provide global uniformity for establishing and
enforcing maintenance payments.
This is a complex and technical area of law that requires
specialist legal advice.